[mythtv-users] mythburn or mytharchive?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Oct 4 17:47:59 UTC 2006

On Oct 4, 2006, at 10:00 AM, William Munson wrote:

> Timothy Waters wrote:
>> The MythTV wiki says to use Mytharchive, but someone mentioned here
>> recently that they prefer mythburn. What should I use?
>>
> I had many issues installing mythburn and never did get it working
> 100%.
> My experience with mytharchive has been largely good since moving to
> 0.20. The current SVN mytharchive has even more features than 0.20.
> For
> some reason it does not appear that the author is applying any
> fixes to
> the 0.20-fixes branch so I would not recommend that branch at this
> time.

As was said, which you use pretty well depends on what version of
Myth you are running, as MythBurn only runs on 0.19 and Mytharchive
is a 0.20 critter.

The MythBurn implementation that was included with 0.19 MythDora
versions has worked quite well for me. The only problems I have had
were when it needed to re-quant a program that was over 4.7 GB in
order to fit it on a single-layer DVD - this worked *some* of the
time but not always. Anything small enough to fit without re-quanting
has been very reliable, even the animated menus etc.

I have simply gone to dual-layer disks for anything longer than 4.7,
the blanks are costly but they do seem to work.

Incidently, I saw blank blu-ray recordables at Circuit City the other
day, I think they were about $30 each, cheaper to just buy the movie
on disk, but for data archiving they might be useful.