[mythtv-users] Running as root

Paul A Pick paul.pick at gmail.com
Mon Oct 2 23:10:19 UTC 2006

> The mythtv
> user does not have permissions to run 'service mythbackend
> restart', so how does the non-technical user get back to an
> operational state?

Give the user permission via sudo. Something like:

mythtv    ALL=NOPASSWD: /etc/init.d/mythbackend

Then user mythtv can do "sudo /etc/init.d/mythbackend restart".

> I need something set up so that she can just push
> a button on the remote and it will re-cycle everything.

Run irexec and add something like this to your lircrc:

# Power Off/Exit
prog = irexec
button = OFF
config = /script/to/re-cycle/everything

Paul Pick | paul.pick at gmail.com | http://packrat.dnsalias.org/
Men are from earth. Women are from earth. Deal with it.