[mythtv-users] Running as root

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Mon Oct 2 18:48:39 UTC 2006

Phill Edwards wrote:
>> Unless someone on this list can provide a workaround, you will find that
>>   you cannot auto login as root... for no discernible reason that I can
>> find, except possibly the obstinate religious fervor of the
>> 'never-run-as-root' crowd.
>
> Here's one work-around - set the SUID bit on mythfrontend. Then you
> can auto-login as mythtv but still have it running as root. I think
> this is what is generally recommended. There's no need to log on as
> root to run mythtv so the fact that you can't auto-login as root
> doesn't matter.

My problem is not with the actual running, but with the cleanup when
mythfrontend (or backend) crashes or locks up.
A crash or forced close leaves the lock file(s). The mythtv user does
not have permissions to run 'service mythbackend restart', so how does
the non-technical user get back to an operational state?

I have seen no good response to this problem. I cannot expect my wife to
  type all sorts of stuff, using the tv for a monitor. I need something
set up so that she can just push a button on the remote and it will
re-cycle everything. At present I know of no way to do that on a
programmatic basis as a user.

--
   R. G. Newbury
        Helping with the HTTP issue