[mythtv-users] Backend quits functioning

Jim O'Neill oneillji at gmail.com
Wed May 31 02:51:51 UTC 2006

Austin Roberts wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm running MythTV 0.18 on an Ubuntu Dapper Drake beta system. I seem
> to have three different kinds of issues in which the backend stops
> functioning.
>
> The first is that it just quits. The daemon dies, and it's gone. It
> never seems to do this in the middle of recording something, so if
> that were the extent of my problems I'd just set up a monitor to
> restart it when it dies.
>
> The second (and most frequent) scenario is that it doesn't quit, but
> somehow "loses" the list of shows its supposed to record, and doesn't
> record anything until I restart the backend.
>
> The third scenario has only happened twice, but what happens is that
> it records the right timeslot on the same channel as the last show it
> recorded. This is not consistent. Say I'm going to be recording four
> shows, all on different channels. The first is fine, the second
> records on the same channel as the first, but the third and fourth
> record on their own channels.
>
> In all the searching for answers I've done, I've seen some other
> people mention problems with Via Motherboards, which is what I have
> (and getting another motherboard is not an option at the moment).
>
> Typically, I like to do my own trouble shooting as much as possible,
> but I've not found anything to work with. I can't reproduce the
> problem, and it doesn't seem to be creating any logs for me to work
> with. Can anyone help me with any of these problems?
>
> -Austin

Austin, no solutions i'm afraid, only a data point.

I have the exact same issues as your first two scenerios but not the
third.  As was already mentioned, I run a script to work around the
first scenerio but don't have a solution to the second which happens
much more frequently (at least a couple of times a day lately).   I'm
running the 0.19 trunk from a day or two ago and have an VIA based, ASUS
AMD64, motherboard.

I don't think the problem is VIA based as i believe its problems were
related to PCI bus management and because the problem has a consistent
profile - i say this with no real knowledge though.  I've tried some of
the recommended VIA workarounds with the exception of a kernel upgrade
(i'm on 2.6.8-11) without affect .

As i suspect is the same for you, mythfrontend is fully functional
during scenerio 2 with the exception of not being able to reactivate a
scheduled recording. Given the fact that Myth does not appear to provide
any clue to a problem reading the recordings list or recording itself,
i've been working under the assumption that its a Myth problem such as a
hung scheduling or resource management thread. Unfortunately knowing how
to troubleshoot this is beyond my current capabilities.  Would
appreciate some tips if anyone is reading this.

Jim