[mythtv-users] Backend quits functioning

Jim O'Neill oneillji at gmail.com
Wed May 31 23:16:32 UTC 2006

Jim O'Neill wrote:
> Austin Roberts wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> I'm running MythTV 0.18 on an Ubuntu Dapper Drake beta system. I seem
>> to have three different kinds of issues in which the backend stops
>> functioning.
>>
>> The first is that it just quits. The daemon dies, and it's gone. It
>> never seems to do this in the middle of recording something, so if
>> that were the extent of my problems I'd just set up a monitor to
>> restart it when it dies.
>>
>> The second (and most frequent) scenario is that it doesn't quit, but
>> somehow "loses" the list of shows its supposed to record, and doesn't
>> record anything until I restart the backend.
>>
>> The third scenario has only happened twice, but what happens is that
>> it records the right timeslot on the same channel as the last show it
>> recorded. This is not consistent. Say I'm going to be recording four
>> shows, all on different channels. The first is fine, the second
>> records on the same channel as the first, but the third and fourth
>> record on their own channels.
>>
>> In all the searching for answers I've done, I've seen some other
>> people mention problems with Via Motherboards, which is what I have
>> (and getting another motherboard is not an option at the moment).
>>
>> Typically, I like to do my own trouble shooting as much as possible,
>> but I've not found anything to work with. I can't reproduce the
>> problem, and it doesn't seem to be creating any logs for me to work
>> with. Can anyone help me with any of these problems?
>>
>> -Austin
>>

> Austin, no solutions i'm afraid, only a data point.
>
> I have the exact same issues as your first two scenerios but not the
> third.  As was already mentioned, I run a script to work around the
> first scenerio but don't have a solution to the second which happens
> much more frequently (at least a couple of times a day lately).   I'm
> running the 0.19 trunk from a day or two ago and have an VIA based, ASUS
> AMD64, motherboard.
>
> I don't think the problem is VIA based as i believe its problems were
> related to PCI bus management and because the problem has a consistent
> profile - i say this with no real knowledge though.  I've tried some of
> the recommended VIA workarounds with the exception of a kernel upgrade
> (i'm on 2.6.8-11) without affect .
>
> As i suspect is the same for you, mythfrontend is fully functional
> during scenerio 2 with the exception of not being able to reactivate a
> scheduled recording. Given the fact that Myth does not appear to provide
> any clue to a problem reading the recordings list or recording itself,
> i've been working under the assumption that its a Myth problem such as a
> hung scheduling or resource management thread. Unfortunately knowing how
> to troubleshoot this is beyond my current capabilities.  Would
> appreciate some tips if anyone is reading this.
>

> Jim

Austin, i think i need to thank you.  I was inspired last night to do
some research and through a convoluted route came up with the following:

    http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=8555
    http://hashmysql.org/index.php?title=Opteron_HOWTO#Glibc_Issues
    http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/dists/testing/main/

I upgraded libc as recommended early, early yesterday morning (i have
you to thank for that too <grr>). myth has now been running properly for
longer than it ever has.  Too early to report this as conclusive.  I'll
report back tomorrow or Friday - hopefully the same solution applies for
you.

Appears I owe myth an apology for suggesting that it may be responsible.

Jim