[mythtv-users] PS3 to come with full Linux

N.E.Whiteford N.E.Whiteford at soton.ac.uk
Thu May 18 18:16:35 EDT 2006

On Thu, 18 May 2006, Brian Wood wrote:

> On May 18, 2006, at 2:38 PM, Ivan Kowalenko wrote:

> >> Why on God's good earth would you WANT to ??
> >
> > Because it's cool. ;)
>
> OK, I shouldn't be so flippant, it's just that I've been trying to
> get my nephew to realize that PCs can actually do something besides
> run games, and I'm just a tad fed up with gamers at the moment.
>
> Sony will probably do everything it can to ensure that ps3 games will
> run only on ps3 hardware, that's the "normal" way of doing business.

The PS3 uses a 3.2GHz Cell Processor which as I understand can
execute 7 threads simulatiously, it also has a custom GPU. No PC has
this hardware so you would have to emulate it all in software.

Basically the fact that the PS3 supports/may support linux means nothing
in turns of PS3 games runnning on other linux systems.

> It's been mentioned on this list that Microsoft sold X-Boxes under
> cost in the hopes of making money on the games. If Sony followed a
> similar path then you would think that they would be happy to sell a
> game without the attendant loss on the hardware sale.
>
> But manufacturers rarely if ever act logically in these matters, they
> seem to just run on gut reactions to anybody doing anything that's
> not "their" way.

They have a reasonably good idea of what their doing. There isn't a
whole lot stopping you from writing an emulator to play say PS3 games,
if you could get hold of hardware that would do it. Like a 8 Processor
4GHz computer with a kick ass graphics card, but then that's going to
cost a hell of a lot more than a PS3. Sony certainly isn't going to help
in any effort to do that however. After all, it'd be able to run
unsigned (and unlicenced, which is where Sony makes their money) and
illegally copied games.