[mythtv-users] PVR-350 vs. Geforce 5200/PVR-150

shadestalker at gmail.com shadestalker at gmail.com
Wed May 17 16:30:13 UTC 2006

On 5/16/06, Varanger <varanger at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have two options:
> 1. Buy a PVR-350

This was my first choice, and I had trouble with getting the 350 to give
smooth output under X.  TV output with the the 350 is first rate, but only
for viewing MPEG2 video.  Anything transcoded to MP4, any X desktop stuff,
etc. suffered from poor framerate problems.

2. Buy a Geforce 5200/PVR-150.

So I added an XFX FX5200.  Not only did this enable me to completely ditch
the monitor and use only TV, it has improved video performance and perceived
responsiveness.  Using a Duron 1400 was plenty for playing back SD video
without any acceleration at all.

If I had it to do over, I'd go for a PVR-150 and FX5200 to start with.  Only
if you're never going to watch anything but recorded (non-transcoded) shows
and live TV would I consider a PVR-350-only solution.