[mythtv-users] Mythbackend - Ubuntu vs Fedora Core 5

Todd Ferris tferris at gmail.com
Wed May 17 05:45:18 UTC 2006

Let me start with - I am not trying to start a distro debate.

That said, I am looking for some advice.

I currently have a fedora core 3 machine running my mythbackend (0.18) on a
headless machine tucked away in the garage.  It is in need of rebuilding
(for reasons described below and to generally clean up things)  I am trying
to decide between moving it to core 5 vs going to Ubuntu Dapper.

As some background: I have a lot of experience with Red Hat, having run a
variety of systems since Red Hat 8.  So, I am very comfortable with managing
a Red Hat/Fedora system.

I am relatively new Ubuntu and debian in general -- just running dapper beta
on several laptops and having played with some live CD systems. As far as my
experience with Ubuntu Dapper -  I have been very impressed with its rich
repositories and very active development.  It seems like Dapper with its
long term support would be a good choice for a stable mythbackend server.

Why am I thinking of switching?  Well, since I started with mythtv I have
run into more package issues than I care for.  I have been having to do
manual yum updates recently, because of some broken dependencies (the most
recent of which, I haven't been able to fix).  I believe most have been
issues between Atrpms (The best myth repo source) and standard fedora repos
(fedora update and extras).  I have tried to limit my yum repo lists to only
myth related (using includepkgs directive) but haven't been very
successful.  While I want my system secure and up to date, I really want the
system to be very stable and require minimal fiddling, and therefore only
want to be updating packages to well tested releases in an reliable
automated manner (e.g. yum nightly) without breaking things.   The Atrpms
repo is very active and when my yum config had it enabled, it was updating
something (not myth related) at least nightly.

So, my question is for those that have been using Ubuntu. Is it a good
environment for running a headless myth-backend?  Have you had problems with
dpkg problems when using the main repos (universe & multi-verse)?

For those that have switched from Red Hat/Fedora to debian based distros
like Ubuntu - how hard was the transition?

Thanks for your input
Todd