[mythtv-users] My experience with HD video and the Nvidia 6200TC

Jonathan Rogers jonner at teegra.net
Mon May 15 15:44:00 EDT 2006

Steven Adeff wrote:
> On 5/15/06, Jonathan Rogers <jonner at teegra.net> wrote:
>> Steven Adeff wrote:

>>> Jonathan, what percentage of the CPU does X use and what percentage is
>>> Myth using? My 3200+ handles deinterlacing 1080i fine, but I've got a
>>> FX5200, I'm trying to get a handle on how much CPU the ATI Xorg driver
>>> uses compared to the nvidia drivers.
>> Playing a 720p movie, the "X" process takes about 50% CPU time and
>> "mythfrontend" about 30%. Playing 1080i show with Bob, "X" takes about
>> 53% and mythfrontend about 30% to 40%. Those percentages can vary quite
>> a bit with the program and even scene, which is why it usually keeps up,
>> but sometimes stutters.
>
> strange to me that X takes up so much CPU on your system while it
> takes very little on mine. Are you sure Xv is enabled? Your Myth usage
> seems a bit lower than mine, but I'm running a 3200+, compared to your
> 3700+. Have you tried the fglrx drivers to see if they improve your X
> usage?

Another issue is that my 8500 card may be a little buggy. I've had it
for several years and already replaced the fan with a makeshift CPU fan.
I've seen messages about firmware problems in X logs. Strangely, moving
through MythTV menus is very slow, though playback is fine. The new 9000
card I tried navigated menus quickly, but played video slowly. I'm
thinking that maybe I should get a 9600 or 9700 if it is quiet.

Jonathan Rogers