[mythtv-users] My experience with HD video and the Nvidia 6200TC

Gary Dezern gary at garyndenise.org
Mon May 15 13:50:43 EDT 2006

> I am currently using a Radeon 8500 with the X.org 7.0 radeon driver
and
> an LCD TV connected via DVI. It works fine except that the
Athlon64
> 3700+ CPU is sometimes overloaded playing and
deinterlacing 1080i. I
> expect that to change when I switch the
CPU to an Athlon 64 X2 3800+.

Depending on what threads myth is
using, and how, you might find that playback is WORSE with the 3800
X2.  A simple test would be to playback 1080i now, and run 'top' on
the FE machine.  If you only see a single "mythfrontend"
process in the top 10, then hit "H" (capital) to tell top to
show threads.  If it's a single thread thats eating most of the CPU,
then having 2 cores (each slower than your 3700) won't help.  If it's
multiple threads each eating about the same amount of CPU, then the dual
core might help.

As a side-note, on my machine (X2 3800) I got
choppy playback if I turn off XvMC and leave bob deinterlace on.  Of
course, other deint filters might eat less CPU...