[mythtv-users] coax vs. composite

John Brooks iresprite at gmail.com
Mon May 15 14:03:36 EDT 2006

Hey, all. I have a Hauppauge PVR-250, and I was looking into the possibility
of increasing my video quality; from what I've learned so far, the ladder
appears to be as follows: Coax < Composite < S-Video < Component video.

Now, my STB doesn't possess an S-Video output (sadly), so I'm down to
composite and coax. I'm currently using coax, and that's served me all
right, but I know that there must be some signal degradation since all the
audio and video data is squeezed down that one pipe. Now, composite video,
on the other hand, at least separate the video out from the audio channels.
It would seem to me that this would be a better way to go. This leads me to
the following question: does anyone know the respective qualities I'm likely
to get out of coax and composite? In other words, what are the upper bounds
of quality I'm likely to see for each- MPEG-2 PS? DVD-Special 2?

I've looked around on ivtv for this sort of information, but maybe my search
fu is not up to snuff.

Hope all is well in the rest of the world!

Jack.