[mythtv-users] plugin idea: MythNielsen

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon May 8 16:29:06 EDT 2006

On May 8, 2006, at 2:14 PM, Chad wrote:

> I don't know if I work worth with consistently more intelligent
> people, but we listen to the radio at work all day (roughly 10 hours).
>  In my area of earth, Low Book Sales commercials are repeated as often
> as my heart beats.  When I go shopping for cars (which I've done a lot
> of lately) every time I drive back Low Book Sales, I contemplate
> getting rockets to launch at their business.  I don't even bother
> stopping, as I am already pissed off just seeing the building!  Most
> of my co-workers also get all upset every time one of their
> commercials come on, and we chat during the commercial about different
> ways to burn their business to the ground.
>
> So, in general I think, people probably respond better to products
> they associate with "good feelings" ;)

I think that we are just not the type of people the advertisers are
going after, we are not ones whose behavior can be changed by 30
seconds of patter, of any sort.

The only advertising that matters to me is that which makes me aware
of a product that I was not otherwise aware of, if it's something I
need or want then the ad will be "successful".

I can't conceive of any ad being able to change my mind and convince
me that I need or want something I was already aware of.

Try as I might I can't think of a single thing that I have purchased,
rented, borrowed or even stolen as a result of a television ad.

And the absolute worst is the advertising for prescription drugs. I
understand that only the USA permits this. I wonder why? It must
work, or they wouldn't keep doing it, and the thought of people
ingesting potentially hazardous drugson the basis of a TV ad really
scares me.

But remember: Nobody ever went broke by underestimating the
intelligence of the human race.