[mythtv-users] Myth on a G3 Mac

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri May 5 11:11:39 EDT 2006

On May 5, 2006, at 8:28 AM, Chris Nicholls wrote:

> Thanks guys, someone offered a G3 for $50 but if it won't do the
> job there
> is no point
>
> Thanks again Chris

That's about an average price. Blue and White's upgraded to G4s can
be had for $99 or less, I'm using two of them to make a bookshelf :-)

Actually my nephew needed an IDE Zip drive, and it was far cheaper to
buy a Blue and White that had one in it than to buy the drive.

Or were you talking about an iBook or similar, my 500Mhz. G3 can't do
video very well under OS/X, but the G4 iBook does OK, if Miles if
having trouble with a G5 something is *very* wrong with it.

The G3 iBook running Yellow Dog does a lot better than OS/X for video
playback, mplayer is *almost* there for SD. Even under OS-9 it did
pretty well, OS/X has a high overhead.

If you just want to watch recordings you can get a MediaMVP in the
price range you're talking about, or an X-Box as was mentioned for a
bit more.