[mythtv-users] Controlling Input Used for Recordings

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Tue May 2 12:03:20 UTC 2006

On 02/05/06, swan_1_ at ssl-mail.com <swan_1_ at ssl-mail.com> wrote:
> If I read this correctly you are trying to use the composite or
> Svideo input on a tuner board that is also setup to tune channels.
>
> If this is the case, see my earlier thread.  If there is a way to
> do this, no one want to let on as to how.  I was able to do this
> way back in version .12 or so, but short of hand editing the mysql
> database (as per a thread fro 2003 which likely wouldn't work for .19)
> there just doesn't seem to be a way to do it.  Either that or it's
> so bloody obvious no one wants to comment.  If you find out, please
> let the list (me) know, I'm sure it will help others too.

Let's hope Jarod's book is available to download soon ...here's the
general gist of how to accomplish this:

Your TV tuner/hardware capture/DVB card has more than one type of
input (i.e. analogue tuner, digital tuner, S-Video, composite video).

If the card is correctly setup under Linux (not just MythTV) then
those inputs should be available via the video4linux driver. Those
inputs are then also available in mythtvsetup in the Input Connections
window/screen once you have added the capture card in the Capture
Cards screen. It may list items such as Tuner, Composite0, S-Video0
etc.

Each input (not card) that you want to use in MythTV requires a video
source associated with it. A video source is the group of channels
that the input can receive/tune (which also require listings). for
example, an analogue tuner in the UK may have 5 channels in its
lineup, whereas a digital (DVB-T) tuner may have more than 40. Using
S-Video to record from a cable/satellite receiver may have more than
100 channels.

Once you have defined the video sources you want the card to handle
(e.g. a tuner-based source of a few channels, and a composite
video-based source channels receiver from your cable box) you then
assign the video sources to the correct inputs in the Input
Connections screen.

To enable MythTV's scheduler to handle channels which are available on
both inputs, you would configure the channels (using the Channel
Editor) to have the same CALLSIGN and NAME (and probably also channel
number).

You can assign priorities to cards _and_ channels which will allow the
scheduler to record from your preferred source. Note however that
there is not an easy way to choose which source to record from
'on-the-fly'.

Nick