[mythtv-users] Tuning QAM for Charter Cable with HD3000

Tony Brummett brummett at gmail.com
Fri Mar 31 16:00:05 UTC 2006

On 3/22/06, Jesse Guardiani <jesse at wingnet.net> wrote:
> So is the concensus that QAM is encrypted on Charter Cable?

It may be different in different regions, but I have Charter cable
here in St Louis, and here's what I've found using my HD3000 card with
QAM256.

The script posted above found over 300 possible subchannels, but only
a handful of them are unencrypted.  These seem to be the same ones
that come with the lowest tier of basic service.  Local channels, 2
C-spans, a bunch of shopping channels, and the channel that shows the
scrolling schedule.  These were all in SD resolution and packed into 2
frequencies.

There were also a bunch of subchannels in the clear showing movies
that didn't seem to be listed on any schedule I could find.  The
subchannel would be in use while the movie was playing, and then would
go away when it was over.  I'm guessing this has something to do with
PPV, but didn't seem that useful since there's no scheduling info for
them.  Also, at the beginning of the hockey season, the sports PPV
channels were all in the clear showing hockey games, but they were
only open for a week or so.

None of the channels I could watch were HD.

-- Tony  brummett at gmail.com