[mythtv-users] Tuning QAM for Charter Cable with HD3000

Marc Tousignant drayson at net1plus.com
Fri Mar 31 11:30:35 UTC 2006

<SNIP>

> On a similar note on how different formats are captured in a mythtv
> system, in my local channel zap2it lineup for local antenna
> broadcasts, I have both regular broadcasts and digital broadcasts like
> this:
>
> 10 KXTV
> 10-1 KXTVDT
> 10-2 KXTVDT2
>
> Would the PVR-350 be used to capture KXTV, and the HD3000 to capture
> KXTVDT and KXTVDT2 (though not HD, still they are digital), or would
> the PVR-350 be used to also capture the digital channels KXTVDT and
> KXTVDT2 and the HD3000 strictly for HD broadcasts?
>
> Mark

As you stated, the 10-1 KXTVDT and 10-2 KXTVDT2 are digital. As such the 350
can not understand the signal. These would be captured using the HD3000.
The 10 KXTV on the other hand could be captured on either the PVR-350 or the
HD3000 as the HD3000 has the capability to understand NTSC as well.
Note: I never looked into setting the HD3000 up the receive NTSC signals as
I have 2 NTSC capture cards (PVR-3500 and PVR-500) as well as 3 Digital
capture cards (HD3000 and 2xHD5000).

Since I don't know how many local stations are around where you live this
may not be right, but 4 - 5 unencrypted channels from your cable provider
does not seem right. You should be able to receive at least digital 1 signal
per local station that you can receive normally OTA.
Here in MA with Comcast I'm getting more than that because they are sending
SD over digital for all my local channels and an HD one for the ones that
are doing that already.

Marc