[mythtv-users] knoppmyth vs mythdora specifics

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Mar 31 02:40:54 UTC 2006

On Mar 30, 2006, at 5:47 PM, Nick Rout wrote:

> I have read the recent thread about knoppmyth vs mythdora. I am unsure
> how to proceed.
>
> I have an exisiting myth box (gentoo on epia m9000) but it is screwed
> and I am going to reinstall. I have briefly referred to this in
> another
> thread and had a couple of replies
> (http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/193718?)
>
>  As I was getting right off topic in that other thread, i thought I'd
> start one all of my own.
>
> epios is out because I need i586 binaries not i686.
>
> knoppmyth and mythdora are in the frame. I need to know specifically
> about the following aspects of both:
>
> 1. whether they will run on i586 processors (looks like knoppmyth has
> that option)
>
> 2. support for pvr-150 card (don't mind compiling it myself if i have
> to, but I am trying to get away from all that on this box)
>
> 3. very important - easy support for XvMC so that i get smooth video
> playback on this somewhat underpowered machine.
>
> 4. mythdora has two iso's, one is the "unichrome" version. This hints
> that it might do the XvMC thing on this chipset, but then again the
> whole thing may be i686 which wouldn't work. Can anyone clarify
> whether
> they have run mythdora on an Ezra/C3?
>
> 5 In fact any comments about knoppmyth or mythdora on an M9000 and/or
> ezra/c3 would be appreciated.
>
> 6 I would have time to do it tomorrow, no pressure guys :)

Ah-Ha, so you're the source of those .nz packets I saw with tcpdump
last night (I'm seeding one of the packages you mention).

I think both MythDora and Knoppmyth will work with your system,
including the PVR-150. XvMC support should work with the usual
caveats (no PiP, no accelerated video speed etc.) Which is better is
subjective, if you have the time I'd try them both and see which you
prefer.

You should ask about MythDora directly on their site:

  http://g-ding.tv

Epia-based motherboards are specifically mentioned on the Knoppmyth
WiKi:

http://knoppmythwiki.org/index.php?page=EpiaMotherboards

So you think you can get Myth working in one day huh? Good luck :-)