[mythtv-users] Playback stoppy and go-y. Ie super-duper-uber-jittery.

Trey Boudreau trey at treysoft.com
Mon Mar 27 20:07:52 UTC 2006

On Mon, Mar 27, 2006 at 02:40:32PM -0500, Greg Stark wrote:

> When I try to play live tv it plays full screen for about half a second. Then
> it pauses for about half a second. Then it plays for half a second, then
> pauses....
>
> It seems too extreme to just be a sound or video driver issue. It's almost as
> if it's catching up to the end of the recording and buffering except that it
> happens even if I rewind. The logs do seem to indicate something like this but
> I can't figure out why it's happening.

I have a very similar problem, but not for all recordings.  For me it
seems to vary with the bitrate of the recording (I have a pair of Air2PC
cards, so HDTV).  It *feels* like the frontend can't both suck down the
next few frames and render the current batch at the same time.  'top'
indicates 80% idle time.  Unfortunately I don't have another machine
with enough CPU to run a second HD frontend to compare against.

-- Trey