[mythtv-users] Copying an install [progress!]

Andrew Lynch lynchaj at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 27 14:02:20 UTC 2006

Guy wrote:

In case anyone is interested.

I have made some progress in my attempts to clone my
existing Myth box. I
realised that the original 0.18.1 RPMs were still in
the apt cache of the
existing system, so I used these to install the save
version of Myth on the
new box.

It occurs to me that this technique may be of use to
those wishing to set up
slave backends or new stand alone frontends without
having to upgrade
systems that are working just fine.

Regards

Guy Dawson

Guy,
I have used MondoRescue to successfully do (I think)
exactly what you are asking to do.

http://www.mondorescue.org/

Indeed, it is how to create your own personal Linux
mini-distribution of sorts.

I used MondoRescue to create the AMICUS self booting
CD ISO image and it works great. I recommend using the
-K FAILSAFE option though since sometimes booting with
your default kernel can be risky on new hardware.

You can check out an example at:

http://amicus.sourceforge.net

and search for the bootable CD image on the project
page (PS, the script on the CD image is out of date)

I have the MondoRescue command to make the CD ISO
written down and will provide it if you are
interested. Making the CD ISO is very easy to do. I
recommend it to anyone who would like a backup of
their MythTV PVR setup.

Thanks!

Andrew Lynch