[mythtv-users] Am I able to stop auto-recording?

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Sun Mar 26 22:45:01 UTC 2006

On Mar 26, 2006, at 3:39 PM, Martin Ereth wrote:

> I think, a switch should be provided, because when I zap to another
> channel, it takes
> some time, where I think the buffer is filled, until the channel is
> showed.
> I didn't see a switch to turn the buffer off.

Just because you think this is true, it doesn't mean it is. Some
people experience immediate channel changes. Some people experience a
few second delays. Search the lists for more information. I remember
Isaac saying that there is no "buffering" time built into myth. As
soon as information is able to be displayed, it is displayed.

> But zapping should be faster.
>
> Also my harddisk is filling up realtively fast. 500MB after an
> hour. After a movie
> with 3 hours, no space is left. Maybe my myth is misconfigurated
> What should people with diskless (livecd) computers do?

All machines record to a disk somewhere. A "diskless" system means
there's no disk local to the machine, but there is one somewhere
that's mounted and being used. 500MB/hour is not a lot of space for
video. You need to invest in a larger hard drive if you're short on
space.

> I do not really know the internals of myth. I am really in favour
> of a cache, maybe
> with up to 50MB in size, or the video should be delivered directly
> without a delay.
> Just think about live-broadcastings. You see the decisive goal 30
> seconds later than
> your neighbour. He is jumping around and you are asking yourself why.

If you're experiencing 30 second delays, something is VERY wrong with
your system.