[mythtv-users] Am I able to stop auto-recording?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Mar 26 18:30:15 UTC 2006

On 03/26/2006 09:09 AM, William wrote:
> Having every live tv show recorded effectively leaves a forensic
> trail for anyone else who has access to the tv. For example you watch that
> porn show at 2am and then the next day your daughter finds the show all
> nicely recorded and ready to bypass any filters you have in place.

After surfing the pr0n sites with your browser, do you clear your
cache/history list/cookies?  Do the same with Myth--after all, as Brian
said ( http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/188203#188203
), keeping LiveTV in Myth is equivalent to a browser's keeping a cache
of pages for you.  After LiveTV, go to Watch Recordings or Delete
Recordings and change the group to the LiveTV group (using the MENU
key).  Then, while LiveTV is highlighted in the left column, use the
INFO key to get the Action popup and add this group to the playlist.
Then, use the INFO key, select Playlist Options and Delete.

Then, make sure you shut down Myth to clear your logs, use a MySQL
client to clean up the oldrecorded table (or do it from Myth's Previous
Recordings page) and use a MySQL client to clean up the log messages in
the database (there's no interface for doing this from Myth).

Or, don't watch pr0n in Myth.  Hit the "Input" button on your TV's
remote to view directly through the TV.  Or, use a program that doesn't
create a forensic trail and that was designed for watching--not
recording--TV.  I think there's one called xawtv...

> It also uses up lots of hard drive

Where by lots of hard drive, you mean as much hard drive as it takes to
hold a single LiveTV program.  After all, LiveTV is eligible for
auto-expiration immediately upon program completion, so anything other
than in-progress LiveTV recordings (and any LiveTV recordings you're
currently viewing) is not "using" hard drive space--those recordings
will be deleted (at the highest priority) to reclaim space if necessary.

> and forces autoexpires that dont really need to happen.

Forces autoexpires of LiveTV--which you all are saying need to
happen...  The /only/ time anything else is autoexpired is if you don't
have enough space on your hard drive to record anything at all.  In that
case you can't record without deleting something.  If you come up with a
way of recording without using any hard drive space, please post the patch.

> Yes, I know you can turn off the live tv shows showing up in the
> listings but why save them at all if you cannot see them.

Even if they don't show in the list, you can always change the selected
group to LiveTV.  So, you /can/ see them.  The only reason they're not
shown by default is because too many people wrote in to say, "Myth is
recording programs I didn't ask it to record."

Please read
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/188216#188216 and
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/188292#188292 to see
how LiveTV expiration works because the problem seems to be a lack of
understanding of what's actually happening.  It seems that people don't
trust that Myth works--even though it's working fine for a lot of people.

Mike