[mythtv-users] Strange backend behaviour

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Mar 25 05:23:23 UTC 2006

On 03/21/2006 06:03 AM, Chris Birkinshaw wrote:
> I have recently upgraded to 0.19 and have noticed a few oddities. If I schedule
> a recording that has already started it doesn't always do anything,

Actually, doesn't always do anything /noticeable/.  Myth has a smart
scheduler.  If you scheduler a recording of "The Sight" as it's airing,
Myth will check the scheduler to see if a later showing exists on the
schedule.  If so, it will defer recording until it can get the complete
show.

>  and if it
> does work then I am unable to stop it by changed the schedule to "do not
> record".

To stop a recording in progress, you should use the playback box (the
Watch Recordings or Delete Recording page) and press the INFO key
(space) to get the action popup and select either "Stop Recording" or
"Delete" as desired.

> Auto shutdown doesn't always work - even if there are no clients and there are
> no jobs running.

I don't shut down my Myth box, so I can't help you here.

> When I look at my recording schedules page it seems to list every episode of
> anything I have ever recorded - it's massive. Is this normal?

It lists every recording rule you've ever created that hasn't been
cleaned up.  For example, "any time" recording rules will stay forever.
However, "find once" (FindOne) or "this showing" (Single) rules will be
deleted some time after the show has been recorded (mythfilldatabase
will delete the no-longer-useful rule).

> I'm starting to think my database has been knackered by up/down grading over the
> last couple of years so might start from scratch. In this case do I just need to
> export the "recorded" table and import this into a clean DB to get my recorded
> programs?

http://mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-23.html#ss23.5

will make the new database identical to the old (knackered and all), so
you probably want to use

http://mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-23.html#ss23.7

Mike