[mythtv-users] OT: Booting Hard Drive-less Machine

Chad masterclc at gmail.com
Sat Mar 25 02:29:17 UTC 2006

Evenin!

I'm trying to build a new mythbox, and have been looking into a slew
of alternative boot methods (no hard drive).  I can boot using a
Knoppmyth CD (or any LiveCD), but need a new kernel, and want more of
my "gentoo" feel I'm used to.  So I started building my own LiveCD,
but am just having LOADS of problems, most of which are due to poor
documentation (outdated, other distros, mostly Debian or Redhat based,
etc).  So I started looking into using the PXELinux bootloader
(Network booting) but am just going nuts figuring that out.

So...

For those of you who are doing truly diskless (no CD) what is your
setup like, and do you have any pointers?  For those who have created
LiveCD's, any hints on doing it with Gentoo and a newish system (udev,
not devfs, 2.6.x kernel, etc)?

Thanks!

Chad