[mythtv-users] MyBlaster getattr: Input/output error

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Mar 24 23:40:48 UTC 2006

On Mar 24, 2006, at 3:46 PM, Brian Sutcliff wrote:

> I spent week trying to get the irblaster from irblaster.com to
> work. I gave up because it is a useless piece of junk in my opinion.
>
> Everyone said that the MyBlaster serial just works out of the box.
> Nah...I get:
>
>  getattr: Input/output error
>
> The instructions say (Well actually there are no instructions) -
> The web page says to load Perl-TimeHiRes. No where can I find that
> to install. The link on the recommended page is dead.
>
> I do have perl installed. I have:
>
> perl.i386                                3:5.8.6-22
> installed

The perl module that you want is "Time::HiRes". You didn't mention
what distro you are using but there is a very good chance that it is
already installed, it was on my MythDora system.

Since you were trying to get an LIRC-based blaster working you will
have to un-do some of your steps along that line as it may be
hijacking your serial port. If you added anything to rc.local or
modprobe.conf take it back out.

How did you try and install the perl module ?? The best way to do
that is through cpan. Your attempt to use the link failed because the
version has been updated (I hate it when people put version numbers
in links, they will almost certainly change). Try the link at the
bottom of the page but truncate the URL after "~jhi/" You will find
the current version is 1.87. ie:

http://search.cpan.org/~jhi/Time-HiRes-1.87/

But why not just try it first ? I didn't use the CodeSearch script, I
just used the MyBlaster.pl and tried all of the appropriate codes,
which can be found in the docs, you will need the device type
(probably "3" for sat rcvr) and the device code, there are about 10
for Dish receivers, the one you want will depend on what ID your
remote is using. You will also have to make sure the correct serial
port line is un-commented.

You may call it a piece of junk if you wish, but it is working
perfectly for me after less than 10 minutes of effort.

The unit from irblaster will work as well, it just takes a bit more
effort. Think of it as "sweat equity" in your system because you do
save money.

So:

Re-boot, as the system comes up check your BIOS settings on the
serial port.

Install the scripts someplace. Edit them for serial port and device
type.

Try "MyBlaster.pl power", see if your receiver turns off (takes a
second or two)

If it doesn't, try another code.

That's all I did, it was the tenth code I tried.