[mythtv-users] Cut 'n Paste recordings overlap?

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Fri Mar 24 00:33:46 UTC 2006

On 3/23/06, Kichigai Mentat <kichigai at comcast.net> wrote:
> On Mar 22, 2006, at 04.05, Robin Gilks wrote:
> > I've recorded a series of programs and as the way of broadcasters
> > I've got
> > the end of one on the beginning of the next recording.
> >
> > Is there a simple way to fix this problem. Can I just 'dd' a chunk
> > off the
> > front of the one file and 'cat' it onto the end of the other and then
> > rebuild the framelist so I can edit it for adverts?
>
> Only with an MPEG Transport Stream... I think. I'm pretty sure you
> can't do that with a Program Stream. But, theoretically, using other
> editors, it should be that easy. My solution would be to chop off the
> end with MEncoder (mencoder -ovc copy -oac copy -ss (last five
> minutes or whatever)) and then recombine them. I'm sure there's a
> more elegant solution, probably using transcode, but seeing as I
> can't get transcode up and running my my Mac OS X machine, it's been
> ages since I've used it.
>

> > The idea is to put these few programs onto DVD backup and I don't
> > want to
> > be searching through a pile to find the last 2 minutes on another
> > disk!!

another option is to use ProjectX, load them up all in order and block
off just the area you want to export, create new files for all the
shows. You could even do your commercial editing within ProjectX
though the cut points are not as accurate as using MythTV's cutting,
so you could replace the old MythTV recording files and recreate the
seektables for the files then use MythTV for cutting commercials and
then turn them into DVD mpegs.

--
Steve