Chris Pinkham cpinkham at bc2va.org
Tue Mar 21 22:19:53 UTC 2006

Leaving the long quote in on purpose for the archives....

* On Tue Mar 21, 2006 at 01:43:10PM -0600, itsmebcc wrote:
> >Isaac and the other developers (myself included as one of them) have said
> >multiple times before that there are certain things that we don't condone
> >or want
> >discussed on the lists.  Among them are any kind of P2P app within Myth (or
> >non-official plugin) and software that allows you to get around encrypted
> >datastreams.  If you don't like it, then you can go elsewhere.  If your bug
> >is
> >related to sasc then you're on your own.  It's Isaac's list so he makes the
> >rules
> >(and I think I'm safe in saying the rest of the devs agree with him).  If
> >you happen
> >to live in a country that allows you to break encryption and use the feed
> >as you
> >see fit, then feel free to discuss this elsewhere, but don't expect support
> >in the
> >official Myth mailing lists.
> >
> >--
> >Chris
>
> Chris, that is fine.  I have been reading this list for some time, and I
> have not seen this mentioned before.  Looking in the mainings from today I
> see 2 backend logs with reference to sasc, and one person trying to compile
> with sasc and not one of you guys have said anything to them.  Not sure why
> I was specifically singled out on this issue, but anyways, I wasn't aware
> that this list frowned on this.  I will ask my questions elsewhere regarding
> this, and try to remind anyone who mentions sasc in this list that it is not
> tolorated from now on.

I don't read every -users post, so if there were others I must have missed
them.  If I had seen them I would have jumped on their case also.  Most of the
core Myth developers live in the U.S. and while we may not agree with all
of the laws here sometimes, we still don't want someone knocking on our door
in the middle of the night if you know what I mean.  It is a fine line whether
some things are OK or not OK in these here United States, but some things are
obviously illegal in the eyes of the law so we sometimes go out of our way to
show our opinion on them.  Breaking encryption is on one of those "obviously
illegal" items in the U.S., P2P is one of the ones that can be used for good or
evil, just like "The Force" (tm). :)  but we have decided that we don't want
P2P within Mith, so you'll see comments about that whenever it pops up.  I would
also venture to say that most people on the list don't know what sasc is and
hence wouldn't say anything.  I didn't know myself until a month or so ago when I
saw it come up in a result from an unrelated google search I did on Myth.

> What if I were to reword what I was asking and say...
>
> I watch the NASA channel all the time, and I get the guide data for it over
> the air.  Is there a way for the guide data to stop processing when I have a
> job in the queue?

There is currently no way to to this, but it could be accomplished via a patch
to the eit grabber to check to see if there were any jobs running before
processing data.  I'll leave the coding up to the reader since I'm not familiar
with the eit scanner/grabber/whatever. :)

--
Chris