[mythtv-users] VBI/closed captions with PVR-350

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Tue Mar 21 02:40:05 UTC 2006

On Mar 20, 2006, at 9:31 PM, Dan Christensen wrote:

> Is it possible with current myth to get it to display captions from
> a pvr-350 recording?
>
> I'm running myth 0.19 (from Marillat's Debian packages) and am using a
> pvr-350 for both encoding and tv-out (using the decoder).  ivtv 0.4.3,
> NTSC land.
>
> If I turn on closed captioning in my TV, I can see the captions.  But
> this is inconvenient to toggle as it requires popping up a menu on
> my TV and scrolling to the right entry.  I'd like to get myth to
> decode and display the captions, since they could then be toggled
> by hitting "t".
>
> Currently, if I hit "t" during playback, it toggles between 'cc off'
> and 'cc1', but in neither case is anything displayed by myth, nor does
> it affect whether the TV displays the captions.
>
> Thanks for any help,
>
> Dan

You have to use the framebuffer instead of the mpeg decoder if you
want closed captioning. So turn off Output using PVR-350's TV-Out.
This of course introduces higher CPU usage during playback, but lots
of advantages like CC, Timestretch without changing audio pitch,
video preview window in the program guide and others I'm probably
forgetting.