[mythtv-users] Enhancement idea: Warning in OSD when diskis g etting full

Kevin Kuphal kuphal at dls.net
Mon Mar 20 15:34:02 UTC 2006

Dawson, Guy wrote:
> It's probably right to say that lots of disc space makes for a better
> system, but I still think it would be useful to be able to gauge how much of
> you normal viewing can fit on the disc you have.  That way you can adjust to
> recording schedule to ensure you get the shows you want.
>
> I do think that auto expire is great, but it's actually part of the problem
> in this case.

I see auto-expire as the solution to space needs, not a problem.  I have
anything that I don't expect to watch within a few days of recording set
to autoexpire (movies, kids programs, shows I don't care about
immediately like MythBusters, etc.).  These account for probably 75% of
my disk usage at any time.  I never miss a recording because I have
allowed Myth to expire what isn't important and keep what is.  I don't
care how much recording space is free (which generally is 1% of my
400GB) and I don't ever need to adjust my schedules based on space.
I've set the system properly to handle this and it does it's job perfectly.

Kevin