[mythtv-users] Minimum for mythfilldatabase update and transfer

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Sat Mar 18 17:00:43 UTC 2006

I am using data-direct for my listings information. Unfortunately, I
must download that information at work as I don't even have modem access
for the mythbox from home (I could but why bother!).

I am presently using the following command to transfer the updated
information in 2 parts:

#!/bin/bash
rm -rf /backup/usb/db
mkdir /backup/usb/db
mysqldump -u mythtv -pmythtv mythconverg --tables credits oldprogram
people program programgenres programrating  > /backup/usb/db/mysqlzap.txt
mysqldump -u mythtv -pmythtv mythconverg --tables settings >
/backup/usb/db/mysqlzapsettings.txt

The first line transfers the majority of the updated information
relating to program listings.
The second line transfers the entire settings table, although only 4
individual settings are actually touched, those that report the
start/edn time of the mythfilldatabase run, the result and the 'Your
subscription expires...' message. I deal with those separately: delete
and replace in the settings table.

Here is the problem: mythfilldatabase also accesses the channel table
and may change other tables in important ways.

Does anyone know *exactly* what mythfilldatabase writes into the
mythconverg tables, and what, of that, is *necessary* for an update. I
suspect that what gets written to the channels table is only important
where there is a change in the  lineup. I had no problems in the past
transferring the new data, using a usb key, to the mythbox, but I now
suspect that the reason I had no problems was because the database on
the office machine *started out* as an exact copy of the mythbox machine
(and the only other changes made on the mythbox machine were in the
settings table and not affected by anything done by mythfilldatabase.

I tried looking at the source code for mythfilldatabase but...my brain
faded before I had a clue as to what was going on.

If someone can help, I would appreciate it.  I also suspect that this
could/should be a topic in the wiki. I'llwrite it if I can understand
what's happening and needs to be done correctly

Geoff
.

Geoff