[mythtv-users] Confusion about Output Cards.

Bob spam at homeurl.co.uk
Sat Mar 18 04:29:21 UTC 2006

Nick Ellson wrote:

> I have been doing some searching, and I feel silly for not remembering the
> MythTV client demo I saw on Revision 3's system show. Ok, so a computer or
> something closer to the TV would work, but for what? I see it as the menu
> display client, and that it can call up recorded TV shows.
>
> But does it handle the rest? Live TV, MAME gaming, playback of stored DVD
> videos?

Yes, a standard Myth box is usually described as a frontend/backend box
as they are totally separate client and server services that connect
through the local loopback interface (127.0.0.1) so if they're on
different machines it really doesn't matter.

> If so, I liked the idea of the Myth XBox, or if Myth TV client ware could
> be stuffed into the MediaMPV box. Has anyone gone this route? Any other
> small form factor clients in use?

Lot's of people go this (or a similar) route,  you really should search
the forums.

The lesson is that the best way to transmit video over long distances is
to do it over cat5e/6 before it gets decompressed, the general concensus
here is that a 100Mbps LAN is fine if your frontend boots of a local
(its own) harddrive, if it's booting over the network (nice to have a
frontend with no harddrive) go for 1000Mbps. The VIA systems are nice
but not powerful enough for HD content, and bla bla bla really, the
options are nearly limitless.