[mythtv-users] Plextor M402U. Supported or not?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Mar 17 12:49:14 UTC 2006

On 03/17/2006 01:50 AM, Chris Pinkham wrote:

>* On Tue Mar 14, 2006 at 11:03:00PM -0500, Dale E. Martin wrote:
>

>>- transcode to mpeg-2 does not seem to work.  I'd like to hear someone else
>>chime in on this and see if it's me doing something stupid or if it's
>>really not supported.
>>

>Transcode to MPEG-2 is not supported currently.  You can do "lossless"
>transcoding which mainly just cuts out the portions you don't want, fills
>in the necessary frames to attach the two ends together, and fixes bad
>spots in the stream.
>
>I'm playing around with code in my local SVN tree to allow NuppelVideoRecorder
>to generate a mpeg-ps stream instead of a nuppel .nuv file.  This would
>mean you could both software encode to MPEG-2 while recording and transcode
>from either MPEG-4/MPEG-2/RTJPEG to MPEG-2.  This probably won't be in
>SVN for a while, it's just something I started messing with earlier this week
>and I'm learning libavcodec and libavformat as I go since I haven't messed
>with them a lot prior to this.

I think Dale was talking about transcoding the MPEG-4 produced by his
Plextor to MPEG-2.  If so, the lossless transcoding won't work, because
it requires an initial input of MPEG-2 for an output of MPEG-2 having
removed only sections of the video (thus the losslessness ;).

So, it sounds like he'll have to wait until you've got your transcode
MPEG-4/MPEG-2/RTJPEG to MPEG-2 work complete.

Mike