[mythtv-users] Watch myth on cell phones

Marco Nelissen marcone at xs4all.nl
Wed Mar 15 15:46:21 UTC 2006

>Now, in Linux I don't know how to do it, but it should be as simple as
>reencoding at a lower resolution and bitrate, because 3gp itself is
>supposed to actually be in mpeg4 format.  You can also use h.263, which
>I'm not sure how much that differs, because I thought mpeg4 was h.264.

H.263 and H.264 are two different encoding schemes, but both are part of
the mpeg-4 spec (ISO/IEC 14496). H.263 is pretty much "standard" mpeg-4,
whereas H.264 is considered "advanced".
.3gp files are basically the same as .mp4 files. In general these
contain video in H.263 format and audio as AAC or AMR. You could presumably
put audio and video in another format in there, but I'm not sure it would
officially still be considered a valid .3gp file in that case (though
that wouldn't necessarily mean that no player would be able to play it).

Marco