[mythtv-users] Plextor M402U. Supported or not?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Mar 14 04:16:43 UTC 2006

On Mar 13, 2006, at 6:23 PM, Jim Minihane wrote:

> I’ve been reading conflicting articles about the status of the
> Plextor M402U. Is it supported or not? If it does work? Can it
> selectively do MPEG2 or 4?
>
> I’d like to use the Plextor in my Myth system but can’t find solid
> information. If not the Plextor, then what USB capture devices work
> well? What about external Firewire devices. I just don’t have room
> for all the internal PVR cards and serial cards for the DirecTV
> tuners I want.
>
> Who has the Plextor M402U working and on what distro. What did it
> take?
I do, or did to be accurate.

I had one of them working on a Gentoo system running 0.18, and I had
two connected and working on the same system when I changed it to
KnoppMyth 5A30.

mythtvsetup knows all about the units, and they show up as a capture
card type in the setup menus.

There is a Gentoo HowTo with more details at:

http://gentoo-wiki.com/HARDWARE_go7007#MythTV

I am presently running a MythDora 2.0 (MythTV 0.19) system and I am
having trouble getting the drivers to load. They compile fine but I
get alsa-related errors when I try and load the modules. I do not
think this problem is related to 0.19, and I believe I will be able
to resolve the matter when I get the time required.

They can only be used in MPEG-4  mode at present, at least this was
true with 0.18. This will cause me trouble with a MediaMVP frontend,
and makes creating a DVD more problematic (MythBurn will not work in
stock form, you would have to transcode to MPEG-2).

But the video looked great, and did save a lot of space.