[mythtv-users] Connecting to my TV

Joe Votour joevph at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 12 23:58:52 UTC 2006

--- Robert Fitzpatrick <lists at webtent.net> wrote:

> > You are using the Xorg nVidia driver (NV), not the
> > nVidia binary driver (NVIDIA).  The Xorg driver
> > doesn't support many of the things that the nVidia
> > driver does.
> >
> > I've never dealt with installing the nVidia driver
> on
> > SuSE, so I can't help you there, other than to
> say,
> > read the documentation and install the download
> from
> > their website.
> >
> Yes, forgot to mention, I tried 'nvidia' as well and
> still received the
> NV information with vendor X.org Foundation. So, I
> guess that seals it
> that I will download from the nVidia site and
> install myself. One
> question about their doc though, it says 'Kernel
> sources must be
> installed and configured' in the SuSE documentation
> the nVidia points to
> for SuSE installs. I installed my kernel source and
> the nVidia installer
> says..
>
> -> Using the kernel source path
>    '/usr/src/linux-2.6.13-15/include/linux/kernel.h'
> as specified by the
>    '--kernel-source-path' commandline option.
> ERROR: The kernel source path
> '/usr/src/linux-2.6.13-15/include/linux/kernel.h'
>        does not exist.  Please make sure you have
> installed the kernel
> source
>        files for your kernel and that they are
> properly configured; on
> Red Hat
>        Linux systems, for example, be sure you have
> the 'kernel-source' RPM
>        installed.  If you know the correct kernel
> source files are
> installed,
>        you may specify the kernel source path with
> the
> '--kernel-source-path'
>        command line option.
>
> However...
> media:~ # ls -lah
> /usr/src/linux-2.6.13-15/include/linux/kernel.h
> -rw-r--r--  1 root root 9.3K Sep 13 11:52
> /usr/src/linux-2.6.13-15/include/linux/kernel.h
>
> Plus, this doc here I found looks to be my situation
> maybe, do I need a
> VGA to Component Video converter or is my S-Video
> able to work with my
> Mitsubishi 55" 1080i HDTV with only CV, S-Video or
> coaxial inputs.
>
> http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/mythhd.php
>
> --
> Robert

I'm not totally sure about your build issues - I use
Fedora Core, and use the RPMs for the nVidia driver.
That said, I have built them before, and it was
actually a fairly painless process.  Did you actually
configure the kernel from the sources and install it?
If not, that's likely your problem.

As for the connection, I would highly recommend a VGA
to component adapter.  Your S-Video should work, but
then you'll wind up with a non-HD picture (480i, I
think).  I haven't dealt with VGA to component boxes
either because my HDTV (well, it's more of a CRT HDTV
monitor) has a VGA port that can do 480p, 720p (the
resolution I run in) and 1080i, so I use the component
connectors to run my XBox.

-- Joe