[mythtv-users] Volume Control when using PVR 350

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Mar 12 19:33:48 UTC 2006

On 03/12/2006 08:57 AM, Stefan Heuberger wrote:

>>>Unckecking the box "Use PVR TV-Out for
>>>TV" enables me to do this. Is there a way to do both: use the TV-Out and
>>>change the volume?
>>>
>>/Only/ if you loop the audio output of the PVR-350 through the line in
>>of the sound card.
>>
>I actually do loop the tv-out into the line in of my soundcard.

Then do *not* check the setting "TV audio through PVR-350 only" ("TV-Ton
nur über PVR-350").

> It seems
>that activating the option "Use PVR 350 MPEG Decoder" disables mythtv to
>control the volume.

The setting "Use the PVR-350's TV out / MPEG decoder" ("Nutze den
PVR-350 MPEG Dekoder (TV Ausgang)") does not affect Myth's ability to
control audio volume.  However, Myth can /only/ control the volume of
the Master or PCM channel of your sound card.  Therefore, you must
configure your Myth box so that the PVR-350 outputs audio to your sound
card, which your sound card samples ("captures") and outputs to your
speakers/receivers.  Since Myth can control the volume of the Master/PCM
on your sound card and since your sound card is capturing and then
outputting the audio from the PVR-350, you can control your volume (via
the sound card) even though you're using the PVR-350.

If you check the setting "TV audio through PVR-350 only", you're telling
Myth not to even attempt to control the volume.  Therefore, you do not
want this setting checked.

>Uncheck this enables me to control the the volume
>(Well, not really I see the Volume-OSD but the volume does not really
>change. But this seems to be another problem)

Note that there are 2 settings related to PVR-350.  Make sure you
uncheck the audio one and check the decoder one...

Mike