[mythtv-users] Volume Control when using PVR 350

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Mar 12 13:41:22 UTC 2006

On 03/12/2006 08:08 AM, Stefan Heuberger wrote:
> I have a problem using the PVR 350 TV-Out: (mythTV 0.19)
>
> I am running the X over the TV-Out of my PVR 350 and I have checked the
> box "Use PVR TV-Out for TV" (its in German so I dont know the exact
> english wording). It seems that mythTV cant change the volume of the TV
> audio. Somewhere I read that it could not do that if the "TV audio
> through PVR 350 only"is checked.

If the German translation is correct, you probably saw that in the
"live" help for the configuration setting:

TV audio through PVR-350 only
Normally, PVR-350 audio is looped into a sound card; here you can
indicate when that is not the case. MythTV cannot control TV volume when
this option is checked.

>  Well it isn't but I cant change cahnge
> the volume by using the remote. Unckecking the box "Use PVR TV-Out for
> TV" enables me to do this. Is there a way to do both: use the TV-Out and
> change the volume?

/Only/ if you loop the audio output of the PVR-350 through the line in
of the sound card.  If you can't do that or are unwilling to do that,
you will have to use an external volume script that uses ivtvctl to
change the volume or that sends a signal to your external receiver to
change the volume.

Note, also, that unchecking "TV audio through PVR-350 only" does not
mean you are not using the PVR-350's audio output.  It simply means that
you configured your box to use the sound card (whose volume Myth can
control) in addition to the PVR-350's audio output.  Doing so also
allows you to control volume in non-MPEG-2 video playback or in
MythMusic or ...

Mike