[mythtv-users] PIII 450-frontend: too slow?

Andrew Lynch lynchaj at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 10 18:52:38 UTC 2006

Al,
I know that there is at least one AMICUS user who has
gotten a working install on a PII 450MHz PC.

A PC of that class is old but still perfectly usable
as a PVR. You may want to check out AMICUS as it is
specially designed to be lightweight for older
machines such as that.

In addition, AMICUS supports a Frontend Only mode
(assuming you have a working Backend on the LAN).

http://amicus.sourceforge.net

I recommend an NVidia card as it will give you good
performance on that hardware. I cannot say about the
ATI card.

Also, I would recommend reducing screen resolution to
640x480 and capture resolution to no greater than
480x480. Make sure HD DMA is operating with hdparm.

Thanks!

Andrew Lynch

PS, the slowest machine I have ever gotten to work was
lowrider, a PII 266MHz.

http://dma.org/day-mug/lowrider.shtml
--- mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org
<mythtv-users at ml061.pinguin.uni.cc> wrote:
> Am Freitag, 10. März 2006 19:24 schrieb Big Wave
Dave:

> > I have a PIII 550, and it works great.  One thing
that helps a lot is
> > having an nvidia card with XVMC.
>
> I have a P II 450 too and I notice a big difference
with xine. With the P I
> II
>
> the video with xine is flawless, but with the P II
not.

> Maybe the reason is the graphics-adapter. I hate
this Radeon 7000 VE, since
>  it
>
> made a lot of problems, but it looks like the driver
has become better, tha

> years before and now it works even with 3D. Do you
think a Geforce 2 MX

> should be better? I fear I get a lot of problems,
when I switch from ATI to

> Nvidia. I have also an unused Gefoce TI, but I
would'nt like to use the TI