[mythtv-users] PIII 450-frontend: too slow?

Al Bogner mythtv-users at ml061.pinguin.uni.cc
Fri Mar 10 20:09:52 UTC 2006

Am Freitag, 10. März 2006 19:52 schrieb Andrew Lynch:

Andrew,

> http://amicus.sourceforge.net

This is based on Debian. I have Debian-Sid _and_ Suse 10 on this machine. With
Sid mythtv is unusable, it is a _lot_ slower. I have no idea why, it is the
same hardware. When I start KDE, the initial sound is interrupted with Sid,
but not with Suse.

> I recommend an NVidia card as it will give you good
> performance on that hardware. I cannot say about the
> ATI card.

Hmmh, maybe I exchange the card.

> Also, I would recommend reducing screen resolution to
> 640x480 and capture resolution to no greater than
> 480x480. Make sure HD DMA is operating with hdparm.

I use PAL with DVB-S from Astra and Hotbird on the backend-machine. At the
moment there is no chance to scan Hotbird, while Hotbird (Diseqc) works with
scan and Kaffeine.

Why is the harddrive important, it is a frontend?

Backend:
 Timing cached reads:   1292 MB in  2.00 seconds = 644.67 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:  102 MB in  3.03 seconds =  33.64 MB/sec

Frontend
Model=ST380021A
Timing cached reads:   544 MB in  2.00 seconds = 271.98 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:   36 MB in  3.01 seconds =  11.95 MB/sec
DMA: mdma0 mdma1 mdma2 udma0 udma1 *udma2 udma3 udma4 udma5
smbios.bios.version = 'ASUS P2B ACPI BIOS Revision 1014 Beta 003'

I think this is too slow for this drive.
WIth a fast machine and the same model I get with these values:
Timing cached reads:   1360 MB in  2.00 seconds = 680.10 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:  100 MB in  3.04 seconds =  32.85 MB/sec

Maybe the hd is connected with an old IDE-cable or the ASUS P2B supports only
udma2.

Al