[mythtv-users] 0.19, VIA, XvMC, Ezra/i586 - video corrupted - image enclosed

Jules Gosnell jules at coredevelopers.net
Wed Mar 8 08:36:30 UTC 2006

http://www.gosnell.org.uk/tmp/00032.jpg

Last night I did a completely clean install of FC4 onto my VIA Ezra. I
added yum configurations for Kelkoo (Epia Unichrome related RPMs), AT
(Myth RPMs), and Livna (Xine RPMs) and did a complete update of the
system, including MythTV-Suite and Xine.

The relevant pieces of my install now look like this :

xorg-x11-6.9-0.FC4.ucr.5
mythtv-suite-0.19-57.at
mythtv-frontend-0.19-124.rhfc4.at
libmyth-0.19-124.rhfc4.at
kernel-2.6.15-1.1833_FC4
xine-0.99.4-0.lvn.3.4
xine-lib-1.1.1-0.lvn.3.4.ucr.1

I no longer seem to need an /etc/X11/XvMCConfig or package, or special
kernel module - I think all of this is now built into the new kernel and
x server releases.

I have not rebuilt MythTV - I may try that today.

I had 0.18/FC3/XvMC running fine - but 0.19 offered tempting
improvements in so many areas...

After I upgrading 0.18->0.19 (still on FC3), I was seeing the same form
of corruption when running with 'VIA XvMC' decoding, plus a different
sort of corruption when playing the same recording with 'Standard'
decoding (Colours seemed washed out of video, then a few brighter
colours like orange were striped across the video and smeared upwards
and to the right slightly).

I figured I would be in better company if I moved from FC3->FC4 - now
'Standard' decoding seems fixed - but my 1ghz cpu cannot keep up.
Unfortunately, 'VIA XvMC' playback still results in garbage being
displayed on large horizontal sections of the screen. Pausing or
changing position in the stream tends to corrupt the whole screen.

I've noted two other things that may help:

- some MPEG2 files (recorded on both 0.18 and 0.19) are not affected and
play perfectly - XvMC decoding is much improved over 0.18 for these :-).
Unfortunately, these recordings seem to be the exception.

- the files that cannot be played cleanly on VIA/MythTV playback fine on
the same machine using 'xine -xxmc' (load is reduced to 15-20%) and on
another non XvMC capable machine - so the files themselves are not
corrupted.

many issues that I have had with this box come down to the fact that it
is an i586 - an unusual arch - so that may be worth bearing in mind.

If anyone has any ideas, patches, things that they would like me to try
- just shout. I've fiddled with various settings, but to no avail. I may
try completely removing my ~/.mythtv in the hope that I have some
historical setting that is causing trouble.

Thanks for MythTV !

Jules

crystallises out around it."

 * Jules Gosnell