[mythtv-users] Will autoexpire auto-re-record?

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Tue Mar 7 06:50:15 UTC 2006

Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 02/22/2006 01:56 AM, Mike Grusin wrote:
>> After looking at Mike's suggestion and poking around in the UI a bit, I
>> realize that what I should have asked was specifically regarding movies and
>> one-off shows (which is what I now realize I've been losing lately).  Series
>> shows which autoexpire are definitely re-recorded (which is what made me
>> think that MythTV automagically did this for everything).

This happens as a result of the fact that there is still a recurring
rule in place so it matches the rule when and if it is rerun. If you
remove the rule of the series then it wouldn't record again.

>> My very limited understanding of the problem is that while autoexpired
>> series episodes have a query hanging around to re-record them, autoexpired
>> movies end up in a bit of a black hole (from the UI at least, it looks like
>> they never existed).  BUT, if autoexpired movies can re-record themselves in
>> 0.19, then all is quite well with the world. =)

They do exist in the 'oldrecorded' table. This is the list used to
find of things are duplicates or not. You can see these on the
"Previously Recorded" page. These entries still have title so what
I've done on several occasions when I wanted to re-record something
that is not in the current listings is to go to "Previously Recorded",
find the title, press "I" and set a FindOne rule. This will try to
record it the next time it is in the listings.

> Basically, when a Find One/This Episode recording completes, the
> housekeeping thread cleans up the recording rule because Myth has done

[Actually it is mythfilldatabase that clean up completed Single and
FindOne. These need to hang around for at least a few hours to allow
for post-processing jobs and such. FindOne was changed recently to
work this way for this reason. However, there is another up side. Say
a FindOne recorded but the station preempted the show. You can delete
the recording and the FindOne automatically becomes active again and
hangs around until it records another showing.]

Now, of automatically re-recording Single (movies or specials) if
they auto-expire,  ...not gonna happen. Not just because it would
be difficult to manage but the fact that something sat for weeks or
months without being watched isn't a good indication that the user
would welcome another copy (and another and another). If I let
a show auto-expire I probably never want to see it so you should
reschedule if you really do want to see (? have?) something again.
So, we'll allow re-record but we won't impose re-record ;-).

--  bjm