[mythtv-users] ATI Remote Bob I and II

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Mar 4 18:29:26 UTC 2006

On 03/04/2006 09:37 AM, Steve Daniels wrote:
> I've seen the AT RF remote here:
> http://linitx.com/product_info.php?products_id=363
> But I have also seen version II here:
> http://linitx.com/product_info.php?products_id=594
> I was wondering what is the major difference?

button layout and production dates?

> I can only really seem to find documentation for the version two, does this
> mean that only the latest version of the remote is supported? Most likely I
> just haven't looked hard enough however.

No.  Both are supported by the kernel module (which makes it work like a
keyboard) and LIRC (which makes it much more flexible).  I use the ATI
Remote Wonder (original version).  (BTW, I have no idea what "Bob"
is...  Just in case that's important.)

> Do both of the remotes support the ability to have multiple remotes on
> different ID's?

Yes.

> I'm assuming that the latter pricey one would be better for MythTV. I'll be
> going through one floor, and one internal single brick thick wall in a UK
> house. Range needed through this is about 5 metres total. Any ideas if this
> will work? I won't hold it against you if it doesn't as I'm sure I can find
> other uses for it!

I find the range to be acceptable.  I haven't played with it too much,
but I had to add a USB extension to increase the range beyond about 2
feet (away from the metal case, it seems to get much better reception--I
can now control it from about 25 feet without walls blocking and a bit
less with walls).  And sitting on my couch with metal springs seems to
affect its range.  And--here's the annoying one--when I have several
people in my viewing room right next to me and the remote, range seems
to get very bad (so I take multiple button presses to do anything).
Maybe my visitors just have too much iron in their bloodstream or
something...

I've heard that range is better with version 2, but I have no definitive
proof (as I don't feel it's worth buying a new remote).  I keep saying
I'm going to fix up the antenna a bit, but haven't made time to do it.

BTW, the range/metal causing interference thing may answer Michael
Freeman's question about why not all remotes are RF...  (Even the DISH
Network RF remotes transmit /both/ IR and RF at the same time to
increase reliability for same-room use.)

> One more thing, would it be possible to use two RF remotes on one system
> independently, with two copies of LIRC running different configs?

I'm pretty sure you could do that with one LIRC (if the remotes are the
same version, one receiver can pick up signals from both remotes--as a
matter of fact, a version 1 receiver /might/ actually work with a
version 2 remote and vice versa).  So, just set your /etc/lircd.conf to
contain a definition for both remote codes and configure LIRC to
differentiate between the remote codes and you're good to go.

Mike