[mythtv-users] Low volume on second PVR-150

f-myth-users at media.mit.edu f-myth-users at media.mit.edu
Fri Mar 3 04:37:04 UTC 2006

    > Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2006 20:02:13 -0800
    > From: John Biundo <johnbiundo at sbcglobal.net>

    > f-myth-users at media.mit.edu wrote:

    > > [The fundamental problem is that there is substantial variability
    > > among models, revisions, and even batches of cards---it doesn't look
    > > like Hauppauge calibrates the audio levels in any way, so it's fairly
    > > random.]

    > Thanks for the reply.  That's rather depressing news.  Do you know
    > whether Hauppauge has acknowledged the problem?  Do they consider it a
    > quality issue?

I don't have a clue, but it sorta doesn't matter, because:
(a) There are tons of mismatched cards in the field, and they're a
    continuing problem no matter what Hauppauge does in the future;
(b) Multivendor setups will of course not be guaranteed to match
    anyway (though it'd sure be -nice- if everyone agreed on 0dB);
(c) There are input-to-input (RF vs composite etc) and channel-to-
    channel variations that can be at least as large, and -they- need
    a solution, too.

My wishlist item at the wiki points all of these out, though it does
comment that the card-to-card issue is the biggest problem, in my
opinion.  (The rest might be more easily finessed, or you might know
that channel X is always 9dB louder than channel Y, but you really
-can't- know without poking around---and should not be -expected- to
know---which particular -card- recorded a program if you have several
cards that all have the same lineup.)