[mythtv-users] Sound and Playback issues 0.19

Minh Duong minh_duong at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 3 00:43:24 UTC 2006

--- White Joe <joe.white at consultant.volvo.com> wrote:

> I have an A7N8X-E Deluxe motherboard (nForce2
> onboard sound) with
> 256MB, Hauppage PVR 250 and a PVR-500.  I have just
> upgraded from .18 to
> .19 and am having what may just be sound problems,
> or perhaps a bit
> more.  Any direction on fixes or diagnosis would be
> appreciated.
>
> +SYMPTOMS+
> -aplay only plays sound when the -Dplug:spdif switch
> is used
>
> -mplayer shows video, but does not play audio.  I
> have tried -ao switch
> options from the newsgroup as well as some I have
> made up.
>
> -Live TV freezes the interface.  If I select watch
> TV, the screen goes
> black and no keyboard or mouse action has any
> effect. Including
> ctrl-alt-del, bkspace or esc.  The show does get
> recorded in the correct
> folder.  After rebooting to regain the interface, I
> can see the mpg file
> and play it thru mplayer.  Without sound, of course.
>
> -recorded shows do indeed record, but when played
> thru the Myth frontend
> freeze the interface as in Live TV (above)
>
> +INFORMATION+
> Using Jarod's guide I have installed Myth .19 on a
> single box under FC4.
>
> I have tried ALSA:default and ALSA:digital within
> the front end config
>
> I use the /home/mythtv/.asoundrc file found at
> http://www.wilsonet.com/mythtv/asoundrc.txt
>
> # modprobe.conf entry for nforce2 onboard sound
> alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0
> install snd-intel8x0 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install
> snd-intel8x0 &&
> /usr/sbin/alsactl restore >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
> remove snd-intel8x0 { /usr/sbin/alsactl store
> >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ; };
> /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-intel8x0

Did you have recordings before the upgrade and can you
play them?   My problem is after the upgrade, I have
no sound through PVR350 audio; however, I can grab the
file and play it fine on my Windoze box.  I did notice
that after the upgrade all files are .mpg and no
longer .nuv.  I wonder if that had anything to do with
it.