[mythtv-users] Sound and Playback issues 0.19

White Joe joe.white at consultant.volvo.com
Thu Mar 2 18:01:25 UTC 2006

I have an A7N8X-E Deluxe motherboard (nForce2 onboard sound) with
256MB, Hauppage PVR 250 and a PVR-500.  I have just upgraded from .18 to
.19 and am having what may just be sound problems, or perhaps a bit
more.  Any direction on fixes or diagnosis would be appreciated.

+SYMPTOMS+
-aplay only plays sound when the -Dplug:spdif switch is used

-mplayer shows video, but does not play audio.  I have tried -ao switch
options from the newsgroup as well as some I have made up.

-Live TV freezes the interface.  If I select watch TV, the screen goes
black and no keyboard or mouse action has any effect. Including
ctrl-alt-del, bkspace or esc.  The show does get recorded in the correct
folder.  After rebooting to regain the interface, I can see the mpg file
and play it thru mplayer.  Without sound, of course.

-recorded shows do indeed record, but when played thru the Myth frontend
freeze the interface as in Live TV (above)

+INFORMATION+
Using Jarod's guide I have installed Myth .19 on a single box under FC4.

I have tried ALSA:default and ALSA:digital within the front end config

I use the /home/mythtv/.asoundrc file found at
http://www.wilsonet.com/mythtv/asoundrc.txt

# modprobe.conf entry for nforce2 onboard sound
alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0
install snd-intel8x0 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-intel8x0 &&
/usr/sbin/alsactl restore >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
remove snd-intel8x0 { /usr/sbin/alsactl store >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ; };
/sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-intel8x0

Joe White
joe.white at consultant.volvo.com