[mythtv-users] MPEG2 transcoding: Illegal video stream in resulting .mpg

Daniel Walton dwalton at cisco.com
Wed Mar 1 15:10:00 UTC 2006

I've had problems where my Roku HD1000 has problems playing shows where I did a
mpeg2->mpeg2 transcode to remove commercials.  It is a pretty picky box when it
comes to what mpeg2 files it can play without hearing the audio cut out or the
screen glitch.

If you have a windows box handy you could run the original and transcoded files
through mpeg2repair:

http://users.adelphia.net/~mwilczyn/mpeg2repair/

There is an option to only generate a log file of what is busted instead of
repairing the file.  That might point you in the right direction in terms of
what is actually wrong with the video stream as a result of the transcode.

Daniel