[mythtv-users] openGL, Geforce fx 5200, and 1920x1080

Shawn Asmussen shawn.asmussen at gmail.com
Fri Jun 30 22:41:22 UTC 2006

On 6/28/06, Rick George <linux at r-dance.com> wrote:

> So- spiffy new TV is really nice, does 1920x1080 progressive scan.  So,
> that's what my desktop resolution is set to.  Graphics card is a Geforce FX
> 5200 -lower end, but cheap and no noisy fan on board.  So, I can't really
> get any 3-d screensavers to work, not that I care about that.  Google earth
> is really slow, and I'm only running that at about 1/4 to 1/2 of the screen
> size.
>
>   I'm not to worried about doing 3-d gaming on this machine, since it's
> mostly for TV.  I was wondering about the new opengl interface for
> mythtv.  Is it that hardware intensive to run the opengl menus?  Is anyone
> running 1080p on the svn version with opengl?
>
>   I'm just wondering if I need to look and fix some problems, or if opengl
> + 1080p is too much to ask of a Geforce 5200.

I just bought one of the Westinghouse LVM-42W2 televisions, and I've got a
5200 in my machine, so you might be interested in this. I found out that the
newest nvidia drivers limit the pixel clock on the 5200 to 135 Mhz when
using DVI (I got 1920x1080 over 15 pin vga working with my 5200 without any
trouble), which is not enough to drive 1920x1080. I briefly tried to get one
of the older drivers working, but they don't compile well under the newer
kernels. Ultimately, I just moved to a cheap 6xxx series card without a fan
and that is doing the job well. I saw a claim on the nvidia's forums that
the 5200s dot clock is only supposed to be able to do 135 Mhz in the first
place, but that doesn't really explain why so many people got 1920x1080
working at a higher dot clock with the earlier driver versions.

Shawn Asmussen