[mythtv-users] PVR-150 MCE captures nothing but static

Pete Cap peteoutside at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 25 01:09:38 UTC 2006

Oh, I've gotten it working--using component or S-Video.
I was also able to capture video off of the set-top box using coaxial, but it was full of static (audio wasn't so bad, but video was poor).

The video captures, when played back, seem "teary."  I'm not sure if lower quality than "live" TV is to be expected or not.

The computer is supposed to record and store video but I am using an xbox to actually play it back (via samba).  I would prefer to leave it in my office and not have it sitting in my living room, but I suppose I could put it behind a plant or something.  The issue then is whether or not I can control mythtv from a terminal session (scheduling etc.) or if I can get this old box to push an X session to my desktop.

Thanks for the advice everyone.  If anyone has additional comments on the setup, I'm all ears.

Regards,
Pete

 wrote:
> > Apparently this issue has something to do with the "tuner" input.
> >
> > Composite video worked just fine.
> >
> > Unfortunately, my setup does not include a tower case in the living
> > room; the DVR is to be placed in the office, about 100 feet from
> > the TV and set-top box.  Easy and cheap enough to pull off with
> > coaxial cable...not so much with component video & audio.
> >
> > Any idea why the tuner input is giving me static?  I can get
> > another set-top box fro m the cable company, but this issue irks
> > me.
> >

>  I've had 3 PVR-150's all fail on me the same way.

I think it's a bit premature to call this a hardware failure as it seems
the OP has never gotten it working.  Therefore, I'd put in a vote for
configuration error.  Of course, without the right information:

tac /var/log/messages |
sed -n '/=\ \ END INIT IVTV\ \ =/,/        /tac

I can't tell what that configuration error is...

Mike