[mythtv-users] Mythbackend causing high load

Mike Benoit ipso at snappymail.ca
Sun Jun 18 18:57:36 UTC 2006

My best "guess" is it has more to do with IVTV then Myth, but thats just
a pure guess based on the fact that I was getting all kinds of buffer
overflows from IVTV, until I upgraded to v0.4.5 when they stopped (at
least being logged).

It seems to be pretty much random for me now, some shows record
flawlessly, others are so bad that Myth thinks a one hour show is only
23mins, I assume because it has lost that many frames. The show is of
course unwatchable.

I'm running "dstat -v 10" and logging the output so hopefully that will
give me a hint as to whether it really is an IOBOUND issue, or something
else. Last time I managed to catch Myth sucking up all the CPU during a
recording it was all in SYS CPU time, not USER which you would expect it
to be. This also leads me to believe that it is not actually Myth
causing the issue, but either IVTV or some filesystem issue.