[mythtv-users] Akimbo ??? (and ITVN Update)

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Jun 16 21:43:12 UTC 2006

Always looking for ways to expand my Myth system with more sources of
programming:

Anybody know anything about Akimbo ?

Another internet-delivered video service.

Apparently, unlike ITVN, which is a streaming service, Akimbo is a
download service, a program does not play until it has been
completely downloaded.

You can use either their STB (presently $69.95) or an MCE-equipped PC.

Their STB includes an 80GB HDD, which they say stores "over 100
hours" of program, so that gives me an idea of both the speed and the
quality.

Just wondered if anybody has any experience with this service.

=========================

I've been playing more with ITVN. There is apparently nothing about
the output video from the STB that prevents it being captured and
recorded, I've tried both a PVR and a Plextor and they both work. It
might be that only certain programs contain DRM however (porn?).

All in all I'd say ITVN is certainly worth the $5/month, especially
if you like old movies or independent film stuff. Quality is not
great but viewable, I've seen worse on some cable systems :-)

Does anybody know if a PVR card will pay any attention to any sort of
DRM  ? I've read that the analog output of some DVD players is coded
in some way to prevent recording but I know no details. I believe
this is called CGMS/A,  Copy Generation Management System for Analog.

And of course you can purchase a device that will remove CGMS/A,
apparently.

Brian Wood
beww at beww.org