[mythtv-users] Desperate hope to save apt-gotten system!!

David Schmidt david.schmidt.in.dallas at gmail.com
Mon Jun 12 23:47:22 UTC 2006

Wow!  A response from Axel himself!!  I'm honored!

On 6/12/06, Axel Thimm <Axel.Thimm at atrpms.net> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 12, 2006 at 04:36:23PM -0500, David Schmidt wrote:
> > I hope someone can tell me what I'm missing here.  If I haven't
> > resolved this by tomorrow, I'm just wiping the disk and installing
> > new.
>
> Since this is an FC3 system maybe you should consider upgrading the
> distro sometime soon, but not due to the issues below.

Well, yeah, kinda if it ain't broke don't fix it.  But I guess it's
kinda broke now, huh?

> > I have a Jarod's Guide FC3 18.x install that was running beautifully
> > until I decided to get the remote working.  In an attempt to get ivtv
> > downgraded, I apt-get removed it.  Now:
>
> > Package ivtv-kmdl-1:0.4.5-108.rhfc3.at is a virtual package provided by:
> >   ivtv-kmdl-2.6.12-2.3.legacy_FC3smp 0.4.5-108.rhfc3.at
> >   ivtv-kmdl-2.6.12-2.3.legacy_FC3 0.4.5-108.rhfc3.at
> > You should explicitly select one to install.
>
> > # apt-get install ivtv-kmdl-2.6.12-2.3.legacy_FC3

> >   ivtv-kmdl-2.6.12-2.3.legacy_FC3: Depends:
> > /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.12-2.3.legacy_FC3 but it is not installable
>
> > I'm totally at a loss.  What am I doing wrong?!??!
>
> You should add fedora legacy to the sources (automatically done by
> atrpms-package-config unless you have manually modified something).
>
> So maybe simply upgrading atrpms-package-config and then apt-get
> update will get the system into the proper state. Otherwise make sure
> fedora legacy is used.
>
> All FC3 kmdls require the fedora legacy kernel, which is the proper
> upgrade path for FC3.

Sorry, but how /exactly/ do I do that?  Like I said, I'm an old UNIX
hack but these package managers are new to me.

vi [what file]
add [what] [where]

Axel, I know you are *THE* authority on this.  I'm TRULY not trying to
be an ass.  I'm just lost if I can't just gunzip/tar -xv/configure and
be off.

Thanks tons for your attention.

PS:You said "manually modified something)".  I'm almost certain I have not.